This article will cover the exact ways that restaurants make their waffles and pancakes for their guests. Most of the time, the restaurants that serve pancakes, also serve waffles too. These restaurants are mainly cafes that also sell breakfast items with a cup of coffee. However, sometimes there is an exception to this, with certain restaurants making waffles all throughout the day with their chicken.
What ever the case is, whether it’s chicken and waffles, or breakfast in the afternoon, restaurants know how to make piles of pancakes and waffles for their guest in a fast and reliable way. Their waffles come out looking so good that a chest tournament could be played on top of them, and their pancakes come out making near perfect circles with equal shape and size. Here we will cover how it is done, and how they make it happen.
How Do Restaurants Make Waffles?
Let’s start with the waffles. How do restaurants get the waffles to look like they do, and come out perfectly everytime?
Restaurants use a waffle iron to make the renowned checkered pattern found on the bottom and top of the waffle. The waffle iron opens like a clam shell and has this pattern imprinted inside of its ‘mouth’ on the top and bottom.
Different types of waffles, like the Belgian waffle can be made by using a Belgian waffle iron.
So how are waffles produced in the restaurant?
After the waffle iron has been fully heated, waffle batter mix is poured into the bottom mouth of the waffle iron. When enough of the mix has been placed in the waffle iron, it is closed, heating both the top and bottom of the waffle mix at the same time. The leavened batter rises and expands, which further helps the waffle to cook more efficiently. It forms the inverted shape of what the imprint of the waffle iron is on its bottom and top surfaces.
Restaurants use multiple waffle irons to cook their waffles fast for customers. Each of the waffles take atleast 2 and a half minutes to cook, so restaurants need additional waffle irons to make the orders for guests, just in case they happen to order more than one at a time.
How Restaurants Make Waffle Mix
Many restaurants use Carbon’s Golden Malted Original Waffle and Pancake Flour as the main ingredient for making their pancake and waffle mix. Here is the recipe for making a large amount for many people, and a smaller amount for home.
Here is the base ingredients:
- Liquid whole eggs (these work better than regular eggs for mixing, but you can use large whole eggs instead).
- Golden Malted Original Waffle and Pancake Flour
- Something to mix everything in
Waffle mix instructions and ingredients for 30 people if they each ate 2 waffles:
- Pour 5 and 1/2 quarts of water into the container (a 22qt food storage container works perfectly for this).
- Pour 8 cups of liquid whole eggs (this is 32 large whole eggs) into the container.
- Heat 2 sticks of butter (226 grams or 8 ounces) in the microwave until it is completely liquid.
- Pour 3 whole bags of golden malted waffle mix into the container and mix it together with a large whisk.
- Works better if 1 bag is mixed in at a time before pouring in the next bag. Mix until the lumps are gone with a large whisk.
- Pour the liquid butter into the container and mix it.
Ingredients and instructions for making a small waffle mix:
- Pour 2 and 1/2 cups of water into a mixing bowl.
- Pour 7 ounces of liquid whole eggs (about 4 large whole eggs) into the mixing bowl.
- Heat 3/4 ounces (25 grams) of butter in the microwave until it is liquid.
- Place 1 and 1/2 cups of golden malted waffle mix in the mixing bowl.
- Stir it all together until there are no lumps.
- Pour the liquid butter into the mix and stir it.
After the waffle mix is made, it can be sealed and stored in the refrigerator up to 7 days. Depending on how much time the mix has been sitting in the refrigerator, it is good to stir it again a little bit before placing it in the waffle iron.
The temperature that most restaurants use for cooking pancakes and waffles is 350 degrees Fahrenheit. The waffles will take around 2 minutes and 30 seconds to finish with a possibility of being cooked for 1 extra minute before they might start to harden and burn.
How To Make Fluffly Waffles
To get fluffy waffles, use this waffle mix and make sure to take the waffles out as soon as they are finished cooking. They will come out soft and fluffy. If the waffles cook too long, then they will begin to harden. The appearance of them will still look ok, but they will harden and get crunchy.
How To Cook Waffles In A Waffle Iron
- Spray the top and bottom imprints inside the waffle iron with cooking spray to keep the waffles from sticking while they are cooking. Golden Malted has their own spray for this.
- Pour the waffle mix into the waffle iron after it has heated up, filling all the spaces completely with the waffle mix without the mix coming over the edges of the filled imprints within the waffle maker.
- Close the waffle iron to begin cooking it. Let it cook. Do not open it.
- It is ok to check on it after 1 minute and 30 seconds are passed. It is safe to take it out after the waffle mix has expanded and it is golden brown. 2 minutes and 30 seconds is the recommendation.
A bottle for pouring the waffle mix will make things easier, and prevent the batter mix from spilling all over the place.
How Do Restaurants Make Pancakes
Restaurants make pancakes that come out perfectly with the same shape and size by using a pancake batter dispenser. These gadgets are metal buckets with a button on the top and an opening on the bottom. Pancake batter is poured inside of it, and the button is pressed to dispense the batter out of the bottom. When the pancake dispenser is held in one place and repeatedly pressed, it can make bigger pancakes, and even giant ones that come out as near perfect circles on the grill or in the frying pan.
Restaurants make their pancakes fast and easy by using a commercial flat top griddle.
When restaurants cook their pancakes, they cook them for 3 to 4 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for each side. When the pancakes are cooking, they aren’t tampered with until they are ready to flip. A good way to know they they are finished cooking, and they are ready to flip is by looking at the pancakes’ sides and surface. When it begins to bubble and the edges begin to round, then it is about time to flip it over and cook the other side. Restaurants use a spatula to flip the pancakes on a commercial griddle.
Instructions and ingredients for making a large amount of pancake mix for feeding a crowd:
What you will need:
- Liquid whole eggs preferably or large whole eggs
- Golden Malted Original Waffle and Pancake Flour
- A 22qt food storage container.
- Pour 6 and 1/2 quarts of milk into the large container.
- Pour 8 cups of liquid whole eggs (32 large whole eggs) into the large container.
- Heat 1 stick of butter (113 grams or 4 ounces) in the microwave until it becomes liquid butter.
- Pour 3 whole bags of the golden malted original pancake and waffle mix into the container, 1 bag at a time, stirring each in the container before doing another.
- Pour the liquid butter into the large container and mix it in thoroughly until there are no lumps.
The mixture can be covered and stored in the refrigerator until it is ready to use for up to 7 days.
Instructions and ingredients for making a small amount of pancakes:
- Pour 3 cups of milk into a mixing bowl.
- Pour 7 ounces of liquid whole eggs, which is around 4 large whole eggs into the mixing bowl.
- If you regularly eggs mix them into the mixture now before continuing.
- Heat 3 ounces of butter in the microwave until it becomes liquid.
- Put 1 and 1/2 cups of the golden malted pancake and waffle mix in the mixing bowl.
- Whisk it all together until there are no lumps.
- Pour the 3 ounces butter into the mix and thoroughly mix it.
Restaurants use the corresponding fruits for the type of fruit pancakes (and waffles) that they are making. After the fruits are placed on, then they use the corresponding fruit syrup to cover the pancake/waffle.
Note: Some of the instructions may vary depending on the equipment used to make the pancakes and waffles. Adjust accordingly.