This will cover how to air fry matcha to make a delicious milk tea. It requires very little equipment to do it. Air frying drinks taste just as good (if not better) as doing it on the stove or in the microwave.
The coolest thing about air frying tea is the way that it extracts the flavor from the loose tea leaves. It is almost as if it is doing a better job than just steeping them in hot water.
It really pulls out the flavor of the tea leaves and makes the milk tea really taste like milk with tea.
Here is the equipment needed to air fry matcha:
- A loaf pan.
- The loaf is something I found to be a really useful tool for air frying drinks. It is deep enough and small enough to be resourceful in an air fryer for liquids.
- An air fryer.
- Measuring cup.
- Measuring spoon.
- A tea infuser or a mesh strainer.
- 16 ounce or more drinking cup.
Here are the ingredients needed to air fry matcha:
- 5 tablespoons of matcha powder.
- The matcha powder that I used is from Tea Zone.
- 1 tablespoon of loose tea leaves.
- Black tea leaves are the most commonly used tea leaves for making any flavor of milk tea, but there are many other loose tea leaf flavors to try. Some of them have lighter flavors.
- 1/4 cup of water.
- 10 ounces of milk (preferably whole milk or soy milk).
- These aren’t the only options for milk, but some other choices like coconut milk or oatmilk might alter the overall flavor. Individuals use different milk types to fit different diets.
- Sugar as needed.
- The type of sugar used is up to you, but powdered sugar, brown sugar, or sugar cane is recommended.
How To Air Fry Matcha Milk Tea
This is the step by step process of air frying matcha to create a matcha tea, matcha milk, or matcha milk tea. There is help on air frying bubble tea pearls also if you need it to cook boba pearls in the air fryer. I highly recommend using a 9×5 inch loaf pan to do this, but any heat resistant pan or bowl that is deep enough to hold more than 10 ounces of water will do.
1. Put 1/4 cup of water into the pan.
Start by measuring out 1/4 of a cup of water and pouring it into the pan.
2. Place 5 tablespoons of matcha into the pan.
I used 5 tablespoons of water, but you are welcomed to use more or less if you feel like it is too much or too less. 5 tablespoons worked perfectly for me for the matcha powder that I was using. It is designed for making milk tea and bubble tea. It is already sweetened and everything for me.
You can add in the appropriate amount of sugar at this time if the matcha you have doesn’t have any sugars in it. If you don’t know the amount of sugar to use, then start off with 2 to 3 tablespoons of sugar.
3. Add 1 tablespoon of loose tea leaves to the pan.
One tablespoon of loose tea leaves will be enough to make the matcha tea for a 16 ounce drink or less. The loose tea leaves can be any flavor, but I stuck with the black tea leaves for making mine, because it is a popular choice for boba shops.
If you just want to make an air fried matcha milk, then you can leave out the loose tea leaves and just make it without them.
4. Thoroughly mix it together.
Mix everything together thoroughly (the water, matcha, and loose tea leaves) in the pan. The tea leaves will float on top, which will air fry while they are floating and release their tea flavor in the mixture at the same time.
5. Place it in the air fryer for 5 minutes at 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
Air fry the matcha and tea leaves for 5 minutes. After this time it should be bubbling, and the mixture should be a little darker from the tea leaves being extracted.
6. Add 10 ounces of milk to the matcha tea.
Add in the milk now. If you just want a matcha tea, then don’t add the milk, instead at 10 ounces of water. If you want it to be for the lactose intolerant, then add 10 ounces of water, and use 3 tablespoons of non-dairy creamer powder.
7. Mix it thoroughly.
The mix will have to be mixed well, especially if you are using the non-dairy creamer powder to make the milk.
8. Air fry it for 5 more minutes at 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
Air fry the matcha milk tea once more at the same temperature for 5 more minutes. After this it is done and can be removed from the air fryer.
In the picture you can see how more of the tea leaf flavor was extracted using this method, as the matcha takes on a brownish green color.
9. Strain out the matcha drink into your drink cup.
The air fried drink will have to be strained to get the tea leaves out of the mixture. You can use the mesh strainer to place over the drinking cup to do this. Another way to do this is by using a tea infuser to place the loose tea leaves in at the beginning. That way the loose tea leaves can just be lifted up out of the mixture when everything is finished.
How To Add Ice Or Boba Pearls To Make An Air Fried Matcha Bubble Milk Tea
To add in ice or boba pearls to the air fried matcha milk tea, you will need to have the amount of ice and boba pearls you want inside of the cup first before pouring the matcha milk tea into it when straining.
The cooked boba pearls will have to go into the cup first, and then the ice will go in on top of the boba pearls. Finally, the matcha tea/milk tea will be poured into the cup on top of both of them.