I was experimenting with flavors that go well with taro and decided to try hot chocolate with it. The results were amazing. The Starbucks hot chocolate seems to really bring out that left over cereal milk taste even more from the taro drink. This drink is really easy to make at home, and really only takes a few minutes to make it.
Here, I will provide the ingredients needed to create this hot chocolate milk tea. The taro hot chocolate has the taste of a beverage that you would really enjoy first thing in the morning (for breakfast), but also right after work after settling down for the day. I had this drink with my homemade sausage egg and cheese biscuit.
Here are the exact ingredients that I used:
- One packet of Starbucks Hot Cocoa Double Chocolate
- This is one of my favorite hot cocoa mixes. It has a strong chocolate flavor with being too strong. I like this better than using any other brand.
- 3 tablespoons of Taro Premium Powder Mix.
- 3 tablespoons Non-dairy creamer powder or 2 cups of hot whole milk/soy milk.
- 2 cups of hot water.
- If using the non-dairy creamer powder to make this instead of the milk. This is what I use instead of regular milk because I am lactose intolerant and cannot tolerate the soy for the soy milk either.
- Tapioca pearls.
- I did not put tapioca pearls in mine, but I do drink bubble tea and milk tea from time to time. The flavor of this drink was perfect for tapioca pearls if you would like to add them.
- I love tea, but I tried this one with just the milk, taro, and Starbucks cocoa powder. If you use tea, then you will have to adjust the ratio according to the milk or water you are using to fit the extra amount of tea for the cocoa milk tea.
- If I do use tea in my drinks, I usually go for the loose tea leaves black tea flavor.
The only thing that you will need besides these ingredients will be a few pieces of basic equipment. This would be a measuring spoon and a measuring cup to measure out the non-dairy creamer, the taro powder, and the hot milk/water.
Of course, you will need something to put your hot milk/water into, and something to heat it up.
How To Make A Starbucks Hot Cocoa Taro Milk Tea
1. Start by cooking your tapioca pearls.
If you are going to include tapioca pearls into this, then begin by cooking boba first. The boba pearls should always be prepared first, since they take the longest. Plus, it just works out better, since the heated the milk or water last longer, and will keep it hot for longer.
2. Prepare your tea.
Next get your tea ready if you plan on adding tea to this to make a milk tea. This should be done next after cooking the boba pearls for the taro milk tea. Have it hot and ready to mix with the hot milk or water.
3. Heat your 2 cups of milk/water.
Heat up your milk or water (if you are using a non-dairy creamer) on the stove in a pot, or in a microwave. If you have any other means to heat up the liquids, then use that, but it needs to be hot so that everything will mix properly.
The instructions for the one packet of Starbucks cocoa will state that you need 6 ounces of water, but we are using more to purposely dilute it. It will also be mixed with the real taro powder, so it is necessary to add more liquids than instructed to the mix.
Remember to lower the amount of milk/water you are using if you are including tea into the drink.
4. Put the hot milk/water into the cup you are drinking from (boba first if using them in the drink).
Put the milk/water into the cup you are drinking from, but make sure that the cup isn’t something that will easily melt from the hot liquid. Also, the cup needs to be atleast 16 to 20 ounces to be able to hold all of the liquids.
Pour in the hot tea if you are making this into a hot chocolate milk tea.
Also, cooked boba will have to go in first in order to prevent from trying to place the boba in later on when the hot liquids have already been added. This will keep things from getting messy.
5. Put the packet of Starbucks hot cocoa double chocolate into the cup.
Mix the Starbucks hot cocoa into the cup first. Make sure that it is stirred into the milk tea thoroughly.
After the cocoa mix is stirred in, now is the time to add the 3 tablespoons of the non-dairy creamer powder if you are using it for the drink instead of milk. Mix it into the hot water thoroughly.
6. Put the 3 tablespoons of taro powder into the cup.
Finally, put in the 3 tablespoons of taro powder into the cocoa milk tea and thoroughly mix it together. This will finish the Starbucks Hot Cocoa Chocolate Milk Tea.
Make sure that you seldomly mix the drink, as some of the hot chocolate may begin to settle at the bottom of the drink over time.
The hot chocolate taro milk will taste a little bit like the hot chocolate, but also enhance the flavor of the taro even more, making it more prevalent. The two flavors really work well in combination, as long as the hot chocolate flavor is strong enough.
I don’t recommend using other brands of powder for making the hot cocoa, as doing so might not give the best results. I tried other brands and it didn’t taste as good as it did with the Starbucks hot cocoa powder.
I would definitely recommend making this as a quick bed time drink with just the cocoa powder and the taro flavoring combined with the milk or non-dairy creamer. It was very good together.