This is one of the best and fastest ways to cook boba, which is way faster than cooking the boba in a pot on the stove. It will reduce the cooking time of the boba pearls by half of the time and up to two-thirds of the time less. This works for traditional tapioca pearls, sago pearls, instant tapioca pearls, and white tapioca pearls.
When using this method to cook boba fast, just make sure you are following the correct tutorial for each one. There are separate tutorials here for each type. The white tapioca pearls (these are not the sago ones) are the same as the traditional tapioca pearls for cooking them faster.
Use An Instant Pot
Using an instant pot to cook boba is one of the fastest ways to cook boba. It will reduce the cooking time for boba by a half of the time to two-thirds of the time. This is how you do it:
- Instant pot.
- Using a big instant pot will allow for larger batches of boba to be cooked at one time, which will result in faster cooking when making large amounts. The instructions will still work as long as an instant pot is used.
- A spoon for stirring.
- A large strainer.
Using an instant allows efficiency, because the boba can be placed into the instant pot to cook, and other tasks can be done while it finishes cooking on its own.
This is for cooking the original tapioca pearls made with tapioca starch. These are not instant tapioca pearls. They are the better quality boba that crumbles easily if handled roughly in the hands. They produce boba that is more soft and chewy, and usually take an hour to cook and prep straight out of the bag. This method will cook the boba pearls in half of the time in about 30 minutes.
How To Cook Tapioca Pearls Fast
1. Fill the instant pot with enough water.
The amount of water should be atleast half filled in the pot. The more water the better, but it will take longer to heat the water to a rolling boil. For the fastest results, try filling the instant pot with more than enough water, but not too much that it takes forever to heat up.
2. Set the instant pot to the Sauté setting.
After it is set to the sauté setting, the instant cooker will heat up the water. Wait for the water to boil to a rolling boil. This should take around 10 to 12 minutes.
3. Place the tapioca pearls into the pot.
It is very important that the water is boiling really good first (rolling boil) before tapioca pearls are placed in to cook. It will also keep the tapioca pearls from settling at the bottom of the pot, sticking to the bottom, and melting.
Depending on the amount that you are cooking, the tapioca pearls should be able to freely move in the pot without being cramped. Putting too many boba pearls in the pot will lower the temperature and possibly stop the water from boiling temporarily. This will make the boba pearls take longer to cook.
4. Stir the boba in the pot with a spoon.
Take a spoon and stir the boba in the pot 3 times. Stir one time every 30 seconds to keep the boba pearls from sticking to one another at the start. It will also keep them from sticking later on while they are pressure cooking.
5. Put the lid on the instant pot and seal it.
Seal the instant pot now with its lid by turning the notch so that the steam stays in the pot after the top has been placed unto the instant pot.
6. Change the setting of the instant pot to Pressure Cook for 15 minutes on normal-high temperature.
Cancel the sauté setting and change the instant pot to pressure cooking. Let it pressure cook for 15 minutes. It can be left to cook for now until the time is up.
7. Hit the quick release to let out the pressure.
Hit the notch at the top of the instant pot to release the pressure from the pressure cooking after it has pressure cooked for 15 minutes.
8. Let the instant pot finish and warm the boba pearls for another 15 minutes.
After 15 minutes, the pressure cooking is done, and the instant pot should switch to the setting to keep the cooked tapioca pearls warm. Let the boba pearls stay in the instant pot like this for another 15 minutes.
9. Remove the lid, stir the cooked boba, and take them out.
Take the boba pearls out of the instant pot, place them in a strainer, and rinse them for 1 minute in cold water. They are done. To sweeten them, place then in a bowl and mix them with sugar and let them set for 10 minutes. The more sugar used, the sweeter the boba will be.
How To Cook Sago Boba Pearls Fast
1. Fill the instant with enough water to fill it to half way full.
More water is always better than too little. The sago pearls will need plenty of water to cook in later. The sago boba will need enough water to the point that all the pearls can be fully submerged in the pot of water.
2. Set the instant pot to the Sauté setting and heat the water to a rolling boil at the highest setting.
Let the water heat in the instant cooker until the water is at a rolling boil. It is very important for the water to be really hot and boiling like this.
3. Place the sago pearls into the instant pot.
Pour the sago boba pearls into the pot to cook. Once again, wait until the water is at a rolling boil first before putting them in.
4. Immediately switch the instant pot to the warm setting and put the top on.
After the sago boba pearls are placed into the boiling water, immediately switch the instant pot from the sauté setting to the warm setting. Close the instant pot by putting the top on it.
5. Immediately seal the lid by turning the notch to the sealed position.
After the lid is placed on the instant pot, seal the lid by turning the notch on the lid to the sealing position. This should all be done right after the instant pot has been set to the warm setting.
6. Hit the manual button and set the instant pot to “high pressure” for 30 minutes.
After hitting the warm button, hit the manual button and set it to high pressure. It will cook like this for 30 minutes.
7. Let the sago pearls pressure cook for 30 minutes.
Now the the sago pearls can be left alone to cook for 30 minutes on the high pressure setting.
8. Turn the instant pot off and open the notch on the lid to release the steam.
After the 30 minutes of pressure cooking are up, turn the instant pot off, and leave the sago boba in the pot. Release the steam by turning the notch on the lid to let the steam out.
9. Let the sago pearls sit in the instant pot for 35 minutes.
Allow the sago pearls to sit in the water in the instant pot for another 30 minutes. They should swell during this time before they are taken out.
10. Take the sago pearls out, strain them, and rinse them with cold water.
Now the sago pearls can be removed out of the pot. Place them in a strainer and rinse them with cold water.
11. Repeat Steps 1 through 10 one more time.
The sago pearls will be half way cooked at this point. The outside of the sago pearls will be clear, while the inside will be white. Repeat all of the steps again from start to finish one more time and then you are done.
Afterwards, the sago pearls can be mixed with sugars and soaked in them to sweeten them for 20 minutes.
How To Cook Instant Tapioca Pearls Fast
This is for the 5 minute instant tapioca pearls. This will reduce the cooking time for them by half, making it a lot faster.
1. Fill the instant pot with 1 1/2 cups of water.
To cook the instant tapioca pearls fast, it is important to use the correct amount of water for the right amount of instant pearls.
Note: If more water is used, then it will have to cook for longer. Make sure to use this amount with the given amount of pearls. If more water and instant pearls are desired to cook like this at one time, then the time it cooks will not be the same, and will have to be readjusted.
2. Put 1 cup of instant tapioca pearls into the water.
It is time to put the instant boba into the instant pot. Place them into the water. Use this amount for the 1 1/2 cups of water or less. Using less boba will not result in slower cooking times. It will still cook the boba faster.
3. Stir the instant boba for 30 seconds.
Start by thoroughly stirring the instant boba for 30 seconds in the water.
4. Place the top on the instant pot and turn the notch to seal it.
Place on the top and immediately seal it this time by turning the notch (the valve) to sealing (close it) to hold in the steam.
5. Set the pressure to high on the instant pot, and set the timer to 2 minutes.
Hit the button for pressure cooking on high setting and cook the tapioca pearls for 2 minutes.
6. Turn off the instant pot, release the valve, and let the cooked instant boba sit in the pot for 5 minutes.
After the 2 minutes are up, turn the instant pot off by hitting the cancel button. Let the instant tapioca pearls sit in the pot with the lid on for 5 minutes in the water. Make sure the valve on the lid is turned open to release the pressure during this time.
7. Remove the cooked boba, place them in a strainer, rinse them, and soak them in sugar.
The instant tapioca pearls can now be removed from the instant pot and strained. Placed them in a strainer and rinse them with cold water for 1 minute.
Place them in a bowl and mix them with sugars to sweeten them, and let them soak in the sugars for 10 minutes.